Slideshow Widget

2 more weeks to go!

Monday, August 18, 2014

This week has been quite a roller coaster.  I really have been getting used to that though since being here. hah.  You hit rock bottom everyday and you are super high everyday.  Just depends on the moment.  Its amazing how much I have seen the Lord's hand this week.  Missions are full of miracles.  There is a saying in chinese that says "you xinxin, you banfa"  It means have faith, have a way.  So much truth in that.  As we have faith, a way will always present itself because of our savior and His infinite grace and love.  

So as you know, I've been a little discouraged lately.  Chinese is really hard and some of the other missionaries are picking it up so fast.  It is so hard when I am giving all my time and energy to study and be exactly obedient and give my all to the Lord and other people sleep through personal study and use additional study to chat but they are picking up the language so much faster than me.  
It has been hard needless to say.  I feel like I am giving everything and not really moving anywhere... but I've had some very tender mercies this week that have helped me.
On monday last week I was struggling.  I just wanted to go home because there was no point in me being here if I can't pick up the language (so I thought).  So on tuesday... it was a very very special experience.  I have a testimony of fasting but on Tuesday it was on a whole different level.  I felt so much warmth and strength from my Father in Heaven.  And as I studied, even with my lack of food and being drained, I picked up so much of the language.  I blew through my flashcards and I memorized Joseph Smiths first vision and in class I helped demonstrate a lesson with my teacher.  God knows all languages.  He knows English, Spanish, Chinese, and even ASL.  And he wants us to succeed since this is his work.  He has become my best friend while being here.  The best place to be is on my knees. and as I've spent time there this week, I have felt him lift me up.

I watched Brad Wilcoxs devoltional this week in hopes of some encouragemnent and boy did it help.  He said (while talking about the pioneers) "The task ahead of them was nothing compared to the support behind them". SO TRUE.  that hit home.  I have you all, Tyler, the awesome members of our ward, grandma Griffin, grandma and grandpa Zundel, all my aunts and uncles AND most of all, my savior Jesus Christ who has felt and experienced all things so he would know how to succor us.  So awesome.

This week, my companionship was struggling.   I was walked on a little this week but it taught me soooo much on humility and how to be more christ like.  
We had to teach our teacher though and it was our last lesson with him because he left to teach at a high school (he is a genius).  So I was trying to think of something that would help our mudaoyou (investigator) and my companions.  I felt the strongest impression to teach of Christ.  And even though we have taught about Him and that already, I just knew we needed to go it again.  All we had when we went in was, our scriptures and a hymn book, not a lesson plan of any kind.  My companions were super skeptical but I just knew that we needed to do this.  So we started by singing "I know my redeemer lives."  It instantly brought the spirit.  Our thoughts just flowed! It was amazing. We each bore our testimony of the Savior and so many inspired questions popped up and scriptures... our mudaoyou even choked up (which never happens).  I had him read Alma 7:11-13 and he had to stop half way through.  I feel more power testifying of the Savior than anything else.  He lives.  I know he is our Savior.  I have such a testimony of the spirit.. It is an incredible tool the Lord gives his missionaries to teach with.  And also the Book of Mormon.

After our lesson we all just looked at each other and cried.  It brought so much unity to our companionship.  Sister Price has been so much better and so has Sister Baker since that lesson.   I am so grateful for those promptings. because it helped me, my companionship, and our mudaoyou.  
after class, our teacher came up to us and thanked us.  he said it didn't just bring the mudaoyou to Christ, but it brought him to Christ. So cool.  I can't wait until I can teach people who are searching and share with them the incredible message of a Savior.

I LOVED the package. thank you soooo sooo much.  And the recording was exactly what I needed.  Moms sweet voice, dads testimony in Chinese (which by the way I understand more of) and the boys!! Logans man voice and Jakes piano skills.  Honestly, I balled like a baby,  BUT they were happy tears.  I ran around and let everyone listen to the piano piece Jake played.  They couldn't believe he was only 12.  YOU ARE GETTING SO GOOD MAN! I was so so impressed.  

So a qoute from last nights devotional... "The Lord doesn't take away our trials but he sure makes them beautiful".  I loved that.. Just because we struggle or we have hard things in our path doesn't mean we are left alone.  It is because (like Ether 12:27 states) God can see our potential.  He knows where a trial will turn us into,  and that is something beautiful. 

I love you all so much.  I wish you were here to see and experience everything I do.  I honestly wouldn't want to be anywhere else.  This is truly the Lords work.  I am so honored to be here and I can't wait to get out into the field.. haha.  One of my friends I made here went to Taichung this week and his letter was AWESOME! I am soooo excited to go there and be sweaty all the time.  haha.  

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU
can't wait to hear from you all! 
I'll send letters soon.  please tell everyone I am sorry.. I only have so much time to write and they ask us not to write letters during the week except on mondays.  They say exact obedience brings miracles and boy do I need some miracles right now.
Love you with all my heart 
XxOxxOOOoooxxX
:)
Sister Griffin 


Lou Laoshi!  She is the cutest thing ever. She is from Hong Kong.  She is the best mudaoyou and always compliments my Chinese when I know it's terrible. ha ha


My teacher is the oober blonde one in the middle.  He is soo awesome and I cried when he left.  He has helped me more than he will ever know.  Also my district is awesome and I don't know what I would do without them.
A girl from my ward at Utah State.  Sister Brown heads to Cape Verde tomorrow:)

Post a Comment