ok, so before I start, I just found out we are getting an emergency transfer and I am being moved to a different area with two new companions.... I have decided that the Lord really is testing my trust in his plan for me. Somedays I just feel like I am being flung around and there isn't really any plan for me as a missionary. But time and time again, something happens that reassures me that this is the plan for me and he has his hand in everything.
This week has been AWESOME, SCARY, HARD, WEIRD, and EVERYTHING ELSE. haha who would have thought SLC had all of those things.
So starting with the day I left.. They left my luggage at the MTC and some one had to rush it to us right before the train got there. haha My luck is the best. It would be my bag.
My heart was definitely racing. My life has been a whole lot of unknown lately.
So the mission secretary and his wife picked us up with the APs. They were great and made us feel right at home. We then had a little orientation and ate lunch with our new comps. I am positive that I have the best companions in all of SLC. I have had sooo much fun with them and learned so much. Sister Baleivuna is from Fiji and she is sister training leader for our zone. She leaves in January. She is an incredible missionary and person and she has helped me and pushed me so much this week. Sister Burrows is from England/Scottland. Her accent is so thick and so is Sister B's. Sometimes I feel like we are are all speaking a different language. haha. I love it. It has been so fun to have such a diverse companionship. They both are absolutely stellar women.
This week I have stepped soooo far out of my comfort zone. Like so far. Sister Baleivuna helped me do that. We knock on doors all day! And everytime we go up to a door, my heart starts beating all fast and my hands sweat uncontrollably... its kind of sad. haha. We have had some very very rude people slam doors in our faces this week. Some were scary and had big dogs and others told us that we are all brainwashed. The first day, my heart was so heavy.. I didn't realize how mean people are to the missionaries.
But as the time went on and I opened my mouth more and truly relied on the spirit to know what to say and what to do, words just started to flow and I became more comfortable. When people open their doors, I just love them!! I think that Heavenly Father helps us love the people we meet as missionaries so it will be easier to bring them the gospel. Once I did that and realized I am NOT EVER alone, I started to really enjoy it! We definitely still had mean people and some made me feel pretty dumb, but I also have handed out so many book of Mormons this week, found new families to teach, and bore testimony of our savior Jesus Christ. It is incredible what you can do when you understand that you are only the tools. The Lords hand is in everything.
We have taught a ton of lessons this week!! Everyone thinks that the people in SLC either already are Mormon or hate Mormons. But really, so many people have just been overlooked.. So many people are searching for the truth but just do not know where to find it.
It has been an honor to teach the people in this area. I have already fallen in love with them and the wards here. The members here are INCREDIBLE. They help so much and have welcomed me with open arms. And that was such an answer to prayers. Since being here, I was afraid I just wouldn't fit and that they wouldn't accept me because I am just another visa waiter but really I have gotten so many warm hugs and home cooked meals. ha.
We have had awesome lessons this week where the spirit was so strong. I am always nervous but I just open my mouth and words flow out. Missionary work is incredible. When I don't know what to say I receive help.
Yesterday though it really hit me how important this work is.
Yesterday after the temple dedication (which was wonderful), we had a new appointment with this older woman and her nine year old granddaughter. The grandma is a member (kind of ) and her granddaughter isn't. When we got there they let us in and we were so excited. They are great, sweet, sweet people.
As we got to know her though she opened up and just started weeping. She went on to tell us her husband left her, she just got laid off work and her son, after 7 years of cancer, just passed away, leaving her with his daughter. She was absolutely devastated, and the granddaughter was as well after losing her father.
The grandma looked at us and just said "I called you here today because we need to know. We need to know why this is happened, where God is, and if we will ever see my son and her dad again."
In that moment, my heart burst. Like completely burst With so much love for these two. In that moment I think I got a glimps of what Heavenly Father feels for his children. Sister Baleivuna and I went on and taught the plan of salvation, every single step. They both watched with tears streaming down their faces and with wide eyes. The granddaughter had never heard of anything like this. She had barely heard of Jesus Christ. The spirit was so strong and powerful and sister baleivuna talked about the after life and then I taught about the atonement of Jesus Christ. I can't explain how I felt as I talked about the grace and mercy of Christ and his infinite atonement with people who have little to know hope or light in their lives right now. The whole lesson I was just praying that God would help me know what to say to fix this. To heal them. But as I bore testimony of Christ, I realized I am not the one who heals them. I cant find the perfect bandage to help but I can bear testimony and help them learn the gospel. Jesus Christ is the savior of all man kind. He took upon him the pain and afflictions of the world so he would know how to succor Gods children. I shared with them Isaiah 53 and it was so powerful to read the line "With his stripes we are healed".. I know know more than ever that this is the most important work on the face of the earth. I am not worthy to have such a calling because of my many imperfections but I know that I can do this because this is not my work. It is Gods.
I love being a missionary. I love love LOVE teaching real people who have very very real needs that the gospel can help. And I love finding people... everyone needs the gospel so we cannot miss one door.
I love my savior and we are so incredibly blessed to have the knowledge we do of him. Share it!! With everyone! OPEN YOUR MOUTH. God wants all of his children back to live with him.
I am so proud of all of you. I have thought about you nonstop this week. I don't know how I was so incredibly blessed. Jaxon, I read so much about baptism this week and on Saturday I tried to imagine myself there with all of you. For your baptism and Logans first date... I love you all and my heart is so full knowing that you will all be there when I get back. As very tall, smart, awesome, fun, righteous young men. Keep it up ok? I will try to write you soon!!! I am so sorry my life has been so crazy the past weeks...
Jake, you are a STUD! YOUR TEETH ARE SO PRETTY!!!! and you are doing awesome in everything ( so I've heard). I am so proud.
Enjoy Tia Rosas for me!! I ate at Zuppas the other day and almost cried. hahaha. Anything beats MTC food.
also... in my mission, diet coke isn't allowed... hahahahaha who would have thought.
ALL MY LOVE!!
Send me questions if you have any! I will be on for a little while longer.
I have been so blessed to have the companions I have had... I love them both so much. Next week I will tell you all about my new ones!! WISH ME LUCK!
The last ones standing.... everyone else left us. I am so grateful for these awesome elders!! They all helped me so much.
Sister Wright and I on our way to SLC
On my first day in the mission field I got to go to the temple!! Lucky huh?!!? It was beautiful and exactly what I needed.
This was our night out at Zuppas... HUGE BLESSING. haha Food never tasted so good.
One of my favorite pictures




Post a Comment