Slideshow Widget

Last week in the MTC

Monday, September 15, 2014

This week has been INSANE.  

I literally don't even know where to start.  It has been a hard one... I have had to really really rely on the Lord. and trust his plan for me.  I flet like I was treading water all week long not knowing where I was going to be sent.  We checked the travel office everyday to see if they had any news.  But on thursday Sister Price and I were walking to the mail office and all of a sudden we saw like five people from the other zone run past us with bright blue papers.  And they were screaming.  haha. So sister Price and I ran back to our classroom to get our elders and as soon as we said the words "They are here!!" everyone jumped out of their seats.  I have never seen our elders run so fast.  And our district leader was no where to be found so we started running around campus screaming his name. haha.  We were quite the sight.  Everyone just stopped and starred but hey
! we weren't going to wait any longer.  Once we found him, he and his comp threw their books and bolted to the mail box.
Once they got them Elder Mcneil (district leader) flipped them upside down so we all couldn't see them. And we stood in a circle out by the flowers and we said a prayer together.  It could possibly be one of the most special moments I have had on my mission.  The prayer was so sincere and The Elder prayed we would know this was the Lords will.  I am so grateful for such an incredible district because we have really supported each other through all of this.  After the Prayer, Elder Mcneil handed out the assignments one at a time and we all just held them upside down.  It was like opening our call again. hah.   and then one at a time we flipped them over and read where we were going.  When I read Salt Lake City South, I just knew that was where I was supposed to go.  I had been praying all week that wherever I was sent, I would have peace knowing that this was his plan... And I know it definitely is.  
Even with that confirmation though, it has been really hard.  Its been hard to be here for 10 weeks studying a hard hard language and then not go where you thought you were going.  Also, it is hard not having a Chinese mission for 6 more weeks (if not more).  Honestly at times I am terrified... but then I remember that Gods plan is absolutely perfect.  He did not call me to fail.  He did not have me study mandarin just to lose it these next six or so weeks.  He has a plan for me and I am going to valiantly go serve him.
After I read my call though and it sank in, I had my first real melt down.  haha.  I think everyone is supposed to have one of those at the MTC or it just won't be right.  
I became to  afraid of not ever learning the language... I prayed long and hard that day on the floor of the bathroom to know what to do and that this was going to be ok.  That night, we had made an appointment with what is called a "Gold tag".  They are people around campus that you can just make appointments with and we found one who was Chinese.  So that night Sister Price and I went and taught this sweet girl named Kitty that Chad found for us:)  
And honestly... I have never ever had such an incredible lesson.  It flowed so well.  I was able to say things that I have never before said and thoughts and scriptures came to mind that were very inspired.  She still had to correct some of my grammer but it really went so well.  After it was over, she told us that our Chinese was excellent and that the Chinese people will be afraid when a tall white girl starts talking to them with such good chinese.  haha.  I know she was just being nice but really... that was the hand of the Lord.  I needed to be reassured that I could do this and He guided me through that lesson so I knew I would be ok.  He is full of tender and beautiful mercies.  Sister price and I just looked at each other and cried when we got out. and then of course offered a prayer of thanks because we knew that wasn't us.

From that point on, our lessons this week were awesome!! God has his hand in our lives if we allow him.  This whole time He has been wanting to help me but it wasn't until this week have I relied on his spirit and watch him guide our lessons.  After we taught one of our teachers she pulled us aside and told us that we didn't just help our mudaoyou, but we helped her as well.  I LOVE to teach people about the gospel and bear testimony of our Savior Jesus Christ. I absolutely LOVE IT! I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to serve a mission.  This is my time with Christ.  and Even though I am scared for the journey ahead, I am so excited to continue to learn to rely on him.  
I wish I could tell you everything that has happened this week but it is just too much.
   But I did learn something this week while sitting in relief society... 
Our speaker was Sister Stevens from the primary presidency.  I don't have my scirptures near by but she was talking about the sons of Mosiah ( I think it is chapter 23 or something?) and how the very very thought of someone not hearing the gospel and having salvation  made them quake and tremble. 
When she said that I realized something.  My call letter said "Sister Shayna Griffin you are hereby called to labor in the Taiwan Taipei mission" and everyone freaked out and I cried and then I freaked out more when I read "you will preach the gospel in Mandarin Chinese" .  
those are moments and things that I will never forget.  
But as I sat in relief society and read that scripture, I realized why every one says their mission is the best mission.  It is because it is ALL the SAME mission.  We are called to serve and bring the gospel to ALL of Gods children.  I was not just called to preach the gospel to Gods children in Taiwan.  I was called to be a missionary for our Heavenly Father and to be The Lords hands on the earth. And to give my everything these next 15 months to bring to help bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.  
This is the most important work on the earth.  I am positive of it.  No doubt what so ever.  I would not trade this time for anything.  To see Maria and Gage in all white reminded me of that agin.  I am called love, help, heal, serve, and save souls.  I should in no way shape or form be bummed to not be going to Taiwan right now.  Because it is an incredible honor to even get to wear this tag at all.  

There is so much more... and I hope what I said makes sense.  I am excited to get out of this bubble.  haha.  but I am also so sad.  This is been an experience that will be dear to my heart forever.  I have learned and grown so much and my relationship with God has blossomed.  I have gone through 6 different teachers, had two mission calls, people who have really struggled, and several prayers on the bathroom floor.  I have said and done stupid, STUPID things and I have learned how to teach in MANDARIN CHINESE.  
I am convinced that the MTC is the closest thing you will get to Hogwarts.  This truly is a magical place.  

I have most importantly learned not to limit the Lord but allow him to step in.  To never say "I can't do this" because that limiting the Lord and denying his power.  I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me.  Expect miracles.  Look for his hand.  because he truly is in everything. 
I am far far far from ready to teach and help bring other unto christ.  I am the most imperfect person out there but Christ.... Christ is perfect.  and with his perfect hand we can do all things.

One last quick story!!!

Today at the temple we did a session and afterwards this little old lady comes up to me in the dressing room and starts telling me about some dream she had.  My first reaction was "wow, this little old lady has lost her mind"... because I have seen a lot of crazies in dads office. hah.  but she then starts to tell me that she needed to tell me everything was going to be ok.  She told me that I am going to change lives and that God is proud of me.  she also told me to trust his plan and not allow set backs to bring us down.   and that I am a strong member of helamen's army and people need me.... I was in complete shock.  
I didn't have my tag on so I have no idea how she knew I was missionary and she had no  idea about my call/temp assignment/ or anything.  I know that, that was God helping me once again.  I couldn't help but cry and give her a huge hug.  
I know we are not forgotten and that God truly does love everyone of his children.  
I want you all to remember that.  and remember how much I love you.  I pray for you all individually everyday and my heart is so full whenever I hear how you are doing. 
Keep it up! Keep pressing on!! I am so proud of  Maria and Gage.      I CANT WAIT to get out there.  
WISH ME LUCK!! 
PEACE OUT MTC!! 

Geng Jie Mei



Salsa Party before we leave the MTC.






Post a Comment