Ni Hao! Jin Tian Hao Ma? I sound the most like a Chinese person when I say that because I say it over one hundred times a day and mimic the Chinese people. Sometimes when it comes out I just start laughing because I sound like a little old chinese lady.
This week has been CRAZY! But isn't every week.. I am beginning to think that is just a normal thing here. Taiwan is the craziest place I have ever been. This week has consisted of a lot of weird, scary, crazy, disgusting things.
Lets start on Monday shall we?
Monday night we had a lesson over at a college campus like 40 minutes away on bike. So we biked to a bus station and got on. the lesson was AWESOME and we were all happy and guess what... we got on the wrong bus. ha. we were straight up lost in the streets of Taiwan. We just decided to take the bus until it got closer to our bikes... then the bus driver told everyone to get off. haha we were probably a 30 minute walk away from our bikes and 45 mninutes from our house and it was 8:50. Sister Smith was about to kill someone.. she was so mad. hahah I was seriously just laughing. She called the assistants and they gave us the OK to take a cab to our house. So we flagged down a taxi and on the way home I shared the gospel with this little old taxi driver. I think my favorite part of a mission is getting to share the truthfulness of Jesus Christ with long haired, smelly little Chinese Taxi drivers. Chinese is hard and this mission is way hard but I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. We are saving souls!!!!!
I am filled with the spirit everytime we pray with people on the street. It literally never fails. I can't remember the referrence, but it says in D & C that the one who teaches and the one who receives are both edified and rejoice together. As we pray with people on the street, we, them, and God are all rejoicing together as they have their first words with God. Beautiful. Nothing will ever ever top that. I wish everyone could experience what this is like.
On the other hand I wish you could all experience my apartment!! IT IS INFESTED WITH COCKROACHES. Like no joke. they are everywhere. The other night I spent probably thirty minutes killing them in our kitchen (screaming the entire time) haha. We also had a very large lizard in there as well and billions of mosquitoes. When I see things climbing on our walls, I am not even fazed any more. I actually think its hilarious, until I found one like the SIZE OF MY HAND. I went into the kitchen to get something and almost grabbed it. Don't worry, I soaked it in Beatle spray, screamed, and then took a picture of it.. I will send it to you. I feel so stinking tough here! Bring on anything! actually don't. I don't know how much longer I will be laughing at stuff like this the more it comes. I saw a rat on the street that was probably the size of a football. Its like a safari!
This week for English class we threw a Halloween party!! We had a talent show... there is nothing better in the world than an Asian talent show. That sounds kinda racist but it isn't at all. Everyone here works so hard at everything they do and holy cow it pays off. We had EVERYTHING! incredible musical performances, TAI KWAN DO! and a man carved an apple into a duck. Awesome.
But my favorite part by far was an elder (super dorky) and his companion |(who is from china and dorky as well) told jokes. The American did Brian Regan in English and the Chinese comp translated.. I was crying. Because Elder Atwood would totally act it out like brian Regan does and then Elder Chow would mimic him... The crowd was dying laughing. I think everyone here thinks Americans are insane. I thought about Jaxon the whole time!! I am pretty sure I could have gotten up there and talked about walkie talkies;) Love you bud.
Our sister training leaders that lived with us went home this week:( Their mission was over just as mine is starting! They left super early in the morning and I woke up to a stack of papers and talks on my desk. Sister Chen left me a note that said.. "Sister Griffin, I think I need to leave these with you.. I have a feeling you are going to be a leader one day and these helped me so much lead and influence others. My sister training leaders gave me these when I was young and they came in handy as I became a leader. When you lead others, I hope these will help you. Love sister Chen"... Sister Chen is an incredible missionary and person. It meant the world to me to have that. She will have no idea how much it meant to me that she would say that. I dont say any of this to brag or anything like that ( I hope you know that) It was just a huge part of my week. Because here I feel so inadequate. more inadequate than I have ever felt before. But for someone like that to see so much in me when I am struggling so much, means the world.
I pray one day I can become a great missionary like her.
I have studied so much this week.. but mostly I have just felt my testimony of the Savior building. Not just my testimony, but my relationship with him. I learned a lot about repentance this week, not so much associated with sin but with the enabling power that the Savior gives us to become clean. In preach my Gospel, it says that repentance is understanding that we are daughters and sons of a living God and we need not make the same mistakes over and over again. That also means, We are sons and daughters of a living God so we need not fear, need not be sorrowful, need not lose hope. For I am a daughter of the same God who helped Moses to split the Red Sea, who sent his son to turned water into wine, heal the blind, sink cities, raise people from the dead, and perform an eternal atoning sacrifice. What makes me think he cannot help me do these hard things? Where is my faith?
I know without a doubt in my mind that Jesus Is the Christ. And like in D&C 123:17, I am just to do everything I can, stand back and be still. For the Lord is my God and will still give me aid. He will strengthen me, help me, and cause me to stand. :)
I love you all so much.
I think about you all day every day and I just want you to know I am giving it my all.
WE MADE FOUR BAPTISIMAL DATES THIS WEEK. I have never been more tired in my life but I have never been so grateful.
Keep working. Keeping building your faith. You xinxin you banfa!!!!
All my loveeee
wo ai ni!
Geng Jie Mei
Painted faces at our Halloween Party!!:) These are two of my students! Debbie and Shannon
Our filter broke and we had to have the elders help us get it off. The whole faucet fell off and there was mold and green slime oozing out.. I am seriously so surprised I am still alive. Our filter was BLACK. Pray for me.....haha seriously
I promise I am not eating that cockroach... even though it totally looks like it. I am NOT that disgusting. haha





Post a Comment