This picture explains my week. Li ming Yan got baptized annnnnndddddd I have a Taiwanese companion!! Guo Jie Mei!
yes, this week was moving day and Sister Wood got transfered out. I am excited for her to have a new start in a fresh place. I love her but I think that is what she needs. and I got Sister Guo!!! She is so cute. I can't even begin to explain how lucky I am to have her. Every Taiwanese missionary can speak a little English and can read english pretty well because in their schools they teach it, but in sister Guo's school, they don't teach english:) haha. This is the first time I have spoken English since friday morning.. my brain is fried. We have only had to pull out the dictionary twice though. Huge accomplishment. When we first became companions though, the first thing she said was "I am afraid of foreign companions" hah. She has the biggest heart though. I have never had such an incredible companion. She loves to work hard and she gives it her all in everything. She has had two hard companions before me and so now we are just ready to give our all to the lord.
She and I have had a lot of fun together even though we can't communicate very well. I have had a hard time not being able to express my thoughts and feelings very well but she has so much patience and she tries really hard to understand. She calls me her Angel. She is the best.
In my last email I said that I felt pretty comfortable with the language.. Heavenly Father decided to humble me. I still feel capable but having Sister Guo as my companion really has made me realize how much I don't know. Sometimes I think that missions are a lot like surgery without the anesthesia. The pride gets removed a little bit at a time with no pain killers. But afterwards we are so grateful.
I am so grateful to have this chance to grow closer to my Heavenly Father. Because I can't really exress myself to my companion, I go straight to my knees.
Even though it has been hard, I have received so much strength. I am so incredibly grateful for this chance to learn from this stellar missionary, to work on my Chinese, and to be humbled.
Aside from this, Li Ming Yan got baptized!! What a beautiful experience it was to see him progress this week towards his baptism. We met with him everyday and watched this sweet man just blossom. He has investigated the church for a looooonnnnggg time. He start with the mssionaries 10 years ago and they formered him because they didn't think he was progressing (not going to lie, those thoughts crossed my mind as well when I first met him). but anyways, Sister Wood called him one day and he decided to meet with us. When we first started he had so many questions and said he wasn't ready for baptism. Every time we asked him if he believed in God he said no and that he didn't think he ever could because he can't see him. But as he, Sister Wood, and I continued to fast and pray for help, his testimony blossomed!! I haven't seen such a solid convert. He is going to do great things for our Savior and his church.When he bore his testimony after his baptism, he said that he doesn't know everything but he can feel Gods love. Thats what its all about. The power of Gods love.
Also the ward really came together to make his baptism beautiful. So many people came to support him and congratulate him.
While he was changing, Sister Guo and I taught the first lesson to all the members. I LOVE reciting the first vision. It doesn't matter who you share that story with..members, investigators, people on the street... the power is always there. The spirit just floods in and I have no doubt in my mind it is true.
Another experience I had this week was in the hosptial with one of our members. Every week we visit this woman who is dying of cancer. She is incredible. She is always trying to get nurses or friends there when we come so we can share a message with them. but this week when we went, she was barely hanging on. She had a brieathing mask and just stared at the ceiling. Sister Wood played the viola and I held her hang and sang to her. It was hard not to burst in to tears seeing this woman I love so much in such a terrible condition.
The last song we sang was "I know that my redeemer lives". On the last verse she started to move her hands. She slowly pulled her hands out of mine and up to her chest. she just held them there as if she was praising our father and his son. Her sister, who is a nonmember was there and I know that the spirit really hit her as she saw her dying sister, with all the energy she could muster, praise our father in heaven.
This is what a mission is all about. It isnt about what we do for others or what lessons we teach. It is about love. feeling Gods love and helping others feel it. It is about being humbled and allowing his grace to heal you. It is about hope in our Savior Jesus Christ and our father who is heaven. It was about becoming a saint through the mercy and grace of our savior.
Being on a mission, I see every.single.one of my many many faults. Sometimes I can't believe that God allows someone like me to wear Christs name on my chest. But he does because he is the only one who can really see what I can become. How grateful I am that I am out here doing what I am doing. I have no fancy calling, I am no trainer, zone leader, or assistant. My chinese isn't very good and I have 100,000 weaknesses. But that is enough for Heavenly Father to work with.
I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! Don't die from doughnut overload ok? that makes me want to barf. after being here, I can't even imagine eating a doughnut.
Love,
Sister Griffin





Post a Comment