Slideshow Widget

March 9, 2015

Monday, March 9, 2015

So I'd like to start my email with a song today.. I shared it with our little er tong ban this week.

"the wise man built his house upon the rock....
 and the rain came tumbling down.  
The rains came down and the floods came up...
but the house on the rock stood still."

The rains came down this week... I mean that literally and figuratively. haha.  It rained almost everyday this week.  We thought it was turning into spring but nope! cold and wet:) no worries, hot water is my favorite thing to drink now a days. 
Also, all of our investigators died off, I had a hard time getting used to having a companion who doesn't even write in the same language as me and I got a cold.  The rains came down and the floods came up.  
But the best part of that song is " BUT the house on the rock, stood still"
The rock, as we all known, is Christ.  He has helped me so much this week.  I have spent so much time on my knees.  There isn't a safer, warmer, more peaceful place to be.  Prayer has so much power. I know without a doubt in my mind that God hears every single one of our prayers and he will step in and help us.  It might not be how we think it will be but he ALWAYS is helping us and his love is ALWAYS there.  
Also, He blessed me with the cutest companion EVER.  It is safe to say that she is my favorite companion.  The two of us have been able to keep our spirits up and have so much fun this week.  She also is hilarious.  not because she is trying to. Also she is soooooo sweet. Quotes from this week translated into english:
"Sister Griffin, you aren't like other foreigners. You smell so good! I was afraid to become companions with an American because you all smell bad"
"I feel like my life has been so sad up until this moment because I have had to wait 20 years to see my best friend Sister Griffin"
Also she told me its scary how we wear deodorant... ha. 
I LOVE HER. We work so hard together and our unity is awesome.  We just work off of each other.  I have been frustrated because I can't express myself completely but it is a huge huge miracle that we can communicate like we do.  We talk about everything and some how we can do it.  Also, the gift of tongues is so real.  Last night we saw a miracle... hahaha. I was explaining how Americans make cookies and I talked about how we use flour. She stopped me and said "sister griffn, who taught you how to say flour?". We both paused and just stared at eat other and then she yelled THE GIFT OF TONGUES. haha.  We have had such a great time.  She is helping me become a much better missionary.  Not just by helping my Chinese but by teaching me how to teach the Chinese people.  The culture here is very different.  It is hard to explain to someone who God is, when they have no idea of who he is.  But this week as I have better follwed the spirit and allowed it and Sister Guo to teach me, I have felt the gospel make more sense to me and the people we teach.  The spirit really is the true teacher.  We as missionaries , do no change people religions.  We bring people more truth, more happiness, and more peace.  

Something I have also learned this week is that we will ALSO have opposition. As the scriptures say, we will have opposition in all things.  We MUST have opposition in all things.  No matter the companion, the place, the investigators, there will always be some kind of opposition and some kind of hardship.  If there wasn't, then we would never grow. 
But God has so much mercy and grace... In the trials, he does not leave us helpless.  This week I study story after story of people who went through very hard trials.  But if you look close, God has his hand in all of it.  He is in every second of our trials and hardships.  He provides relief through little things and then in the end helps us so miracles and receive huge blessings.  People say that missions are the hardest time of their life.  but it is also the happiest because they were put in a situation to see Gods hand and rely on his love.  I am SO SO grateful for this opportunity to rely on God and our Savior.

Sister Guo taught me a phrase this week that I want to share with you all... 
"Zhen jin bu pa huo lian"
True gold fears no fire.
God makes us into this true, beautiful gold.  Because of our faith in him and because of his great and incredible mercy, we will fear no fire.  

I will fear no fire.

Love you all so much!! I am so proud of you all.  I think of you so much as I read the scripture and as I teach of our Savior.  I am so blessed to have all of you for eternity.  Keep working hard. I hope you kan de dong my letter... Sorry its kind of crazy and not organized. hah. 
Wo ai ni men!
Geng jie mei


 our walk home from contacting
a cute fam in our ward

Post a Comment